Like the Insta Novel installments preceding it, The Metamorphosis works like an Instagram Story. The novel's cover art and page animations were created by artist César Pelizer with Hornet Inc, a production company.
Pelizer's interpretation of the main character is a bug-boy hybrid jumping on his bed, never quite reaching the window. As users progress through the Insta Novel, a tiny beetle flutters its wings in the page corner.
Angela Montefinise, NYPL's Senior Director of Public Relations said the continuation of Insta Novels isn't definite after "The Metamorphosis," but readers can look forward to a special holiday novel release.
"We are focused on finishing up the 2018 iteration of Insta Novels right now," Montefinise told Download.com "The holiday release will be the last planned Insta Novel for now, but we're going to evaluate to see what the plans will be moving forward."
The novel, divided into two parts, was a huge success. After it's launch, part one's animated cover became NYPL's most successful Instagram Story at the time, with more than 45,000 impressions. Part two topped it with more than 47,000 impressions.
FOLLOW Download.com on Twitter for all the latest app news.
Updated 12/10/18 10:15 a.m.
- The New York Public Library released Franz Kafka's novella The Metamorphosis as an Insta Novel on Instagram.
- NYPL's latest installment was preceded by Alice in Wonderland, The Yellow Wallpaper, and The Raven. NYPL said readers can expect a holiday installment next.
- New York Public Library releases second Insta Novel 'The Yellow Wallpaper' on Instagram
- New York Public Library releases 'The Raven' on Insta Novels for Halloween
- Best apps for book lovers on Android and iOS
- Inky is a new book recommendation app that will help you find great reads
- Instagram Stories: Everything you need to know (CNET)
- Instagram predicts the flu. Who knew? AI knew, that's who (ZDNet)
- Instagram IGTV: 3 ways businesses can use the new service (TechRepublic)